Students at Lake Gibson Middle School have the opportunity to participate in various clubs and activities.
- Chemistry Club – The Chemistry Club will be preparing for the countywide Chemistry Challenge that will be held in March or April. Topics include isotopes, valence shells, electrons, chemical elements and other chemistry topics. The club is sponsored by Mr. Hepburn.
- FCA: The Fellowship of Christian Athletes is a student-led Christian organization that is open to all students – including non-athletes. FCA provides an outlet for students to share their faith with other believers. FCA teaches leadership and provides opportunities for students to utilize their leadership skills though school and community outreaches. FCA is sponsored by Mrs. Keen.
- FCCLA: This ultimate leadership experience is unique among youth organizations because its programs are planned and run by members. It is the only career and technical in-school student organization with the family as its central focus. Participation in national programs and chapter activities helps members develop strong leadership skills while participating in community service project and competitive events. Culinary, Hospitality, Fashion, Careers and the wheel students are eligible to join our national award winning FCCLA chapter. If you want to have fun while making new friends, helping your community and traveling around the country then maybe FCCLA is for you. The chapter advisor is Mrs. Larson.
- NJHS: The Blue and Gold Chapter of the National Junior Honor Society inducts members at the end of 7th grade who have a 3.5 cumulative grade point average and excel in the areas of leadership, citizenship and integrity. Once inducted, members meet twice a month, before school, and focus on community and school projects. Each member’s goal is to complete 20 hours of community service before high school. National Junior Honor Society is sponsored by Mrs. Infante.
- FFA: FFA is a club open to all students enrolled in Agriculture classes. FFA makes a positive difference in the lives of students by developing their potential for premier leadership, personal growth, and career success through agricultural education. We compete in competitions, raise and show animals, and serve the community. For more information regarding FFA, please contact Mrs. Keen.
- Sunshine State Young Readers Book Club: Students complete an application and commit to compete in the SSYRA Book Bowl Festival in May. Participation and attendance are mandatory. For more information, please contact Mrs. Sullivan.
- Mathcounts: Mathcounts is a nationally recognized organization. At Lake Gibson students meet weekly to practice challenging problems, solve real word issues and create things using mathematics. Students will compete at a district competition with chances of advancing to the state and national level. Mathcounts is sponsored by Ms. Cecere
- Academic Team (A-Team): The Academic Team is a group of 4-6 students per grade level that enjoy jeopardy style competition. Students meet with their sponsor teacher once a week and prepare for District competition in the spring. The A-Team is sponsored by TBA.
- Chess Club: Students have an opportunity to learn the game of chess and its’ strategies and will be participating in the Polk Scholastic Chess Tournaments starting in December. Chess club is sponsored by Ms. Gray and Mr. Kology.
- Recycling Team – The LGMS Recycling Team meets in Mrs. Setterberg’s classroom every Friday morning at 8:20 a.m. After checking in and picking up their badges, the students pick up rolling bins and head to different areas of the school to collect items from the staff’s recycling bins. 8th graders in NJHS can earn community service hours by being on the recycling team. The team is sponsored by Mrs. Setterberg.